The village Aldebrő came to existence with this name just from the end of the 1740’s, on the place of the medieval Csal village, which belonged to Debrő. The name Debrő means wide, plain valley in the old Hungarian language. Csal and Püspöki villages were also parts of the lordship. The lordship of Debrő was founded by the Debrey family, which derives from the Aba clan. A cemetery was discovered near the village, which proves that conquering Hungarians mastered this area. According to chronicler traditions the Mátra became the home of the Aba clan. The village Debrő might, existed from the XI. century, when the biggest and most important church was built by Sámuel Aba. The murdered king was buried in this church. After that, this area was the property of the Aba clan for a long time. After István Debrey’s death, the possesion was owned by many people. Towards 1438 the Rozgonyi family and Imre Debrey were enrolled. Imre Debrei didn’t have male heir, the whole lordship became the property of the Rozgonyi. family. In 1493 István Rozgonyi sold the possession, in 1497 Bertalan Drágffy became the owner. In 1567 Debrő became part of the royal treasury.
In 1544 the residents of Balpüspöki and Csal ran away because of the Turkish army and probably moved to Debrő. The Turkish probablyy demolished the castle of Debrő in 1552. In the 17th century Debrő became the possession of Rákóczi. After the downfall of the possession belonged to gr. Althan Mihály, the other half still belonged to the Aspremonts.
Gyaraki Grassalkovich Antal baron bought the destroyed castle and the lordship belonging to the castle. Antal Grassalkovich settled the rarely populated areas, which was the establishment of Aldebrő.
In 1746, only the 1st settlers lived in the village. The population was German, only a few people spoke Hungarian. There wasn’t a church in the village and the dead were buried in the cemetery of Debrő. Within 20 years the population became 4 times greater as before. The immigration ended. The church was built in 1760, with tower and loft. The village’s history is connected with the history of the parish and the Grassalkovich family. In 1841 the Grassalkovich family didn’t have male heir, then the lordship became the property of baron György Kállai.
The residents of Aldebrő dealed with tobacco and vine growing. They also raised fruits and vegetables, watermelon, poteto, flax and hemp. They had neats, horses, porks and bees. The coat of arms of Aldebrő refers to these activities.
The landlord had a water-mill on the Malom stream, where the residents of the village milled their corns. The men carved, the women raised flax and hemp, cleaned and bind it. They sewed clothes for the whole family.
The language of education was Hungarian and German. We don’t have facts about the buildings of the school. One thing is sure: at the end of the XVIII. century the building had already been built.
The Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49 struck the population of Aldebrő. Firstly, they had conflict with György Károlyi baron, which lasted until 1860. Secondly they missed the males who had to join the army. The biggest stroke was the procession of the armies. The biggest event in which Aldebrő was involed is the Battle of Kápolna. During 1850 and 1950 the population was changing because of the migrations, immigrations and wars. Nearly 90% of the population were agricultural worker. On the 70%-75% of the village area people raised grains and corn. They also raised fodder plants and animals. Tobacco growing relapsed, compared to the XIX. century’s datas. However wine-producing and wine-production flourished. This time along with the parish judge, the town clerk represented the parish and the local board.
In the history of Aldebrő agriculture had always taken a dominant place. This fact didn’t change after the 1950’s, but the building of the socialism took affect on the development of the village.
For the specialities and expectations of the era the changed village’s face: in agriculture the farmer self-sufficient system was replaced with collective farms.
It’s important to say that between 1950 and 1958 Aldebrő and Tófalu united with the name Tódebrő. From 1958 Aldebrő separated again from Tófalu and became a village with self council.
The system, based on Soviet model, began with the elections of October 22, 1950. The frame of public administration of the village was built on this. In the wet years the spate of the River Tarna caused several difficulties for the residents of Aldebrő. In 1978, the dam system was built. The residents have always took good care of the neighbourhood, thus it’s not surprising that the village reached classy places of the Hevesi Népfront’s competitons and in 1981 Aldebrő won 1st place.
The life of the village has always been connected with the volunteer fire department and police. Public safety wasn’t a problem, genarally. This time the village had an own school. However it was hard to find skilled teachers. In 1970, with state aids, they began to build a new, 4 classroomed school, which was presented in January 1, 1973. In this school pupils from Tófalu and Aldebrő learned together. This is the building of the today’s schoolbuilding, which was, of course, renovated. Next to it a gym and a day care nursey was built. They wanted to improve the general literacy by performances, programmes, library. In the village a cultural centre run, a cinema was also placed in it. There was a possibility for the local culture groups to play scenes, hold educational lectures, transaction of meetings and to organize feasts. There was the library, too, which was brought to the school in 1958.
Aldebrő had an own school, local doctor, health centre, district nurse, vet, dentist , just like nowadays.
In 1962 Mihály Bátonyi made an announcement, they found a valuable cemetary from the time of the Hungarian conquest, in the Mocsáros sand-pit. Today you can fint these substances at the Castle Museum of Eger.